Whether you are storing at home or with Ceres Self Storage (just like any other self storage facility),you will be storing at your own risk. Here are some tips to help keep your items safe, while also getting the most out of your available storage space.
– Use furniture covers, tarps or moving pads to keep items off the floor of the unit (this will help prevent any moisture damage from occurring.
– Wrap Furniture legs with protective wrap, furniture cover or pads to prevent scratching. Placing a tarp over your belongings can also help prevent any possible moisture damage.
– Do not use printed newspaper to pack with. The ink may smudge off on your items.
– Be sure to store frequently used items at the front of the unit to avoid having to through all other stored items to find them. Make seasonal clothing accessible, you may have your belonging in storage longer than anticipated.
– Don’t forget to use valuable space inside drawers and larger appliances, such as stoves and refrigerators, to store small items: towels, linens, toys..ect
– Break down large items such as bed frames, large furniture, tables and keep all parts (screws & smaller items) together by taking them to the item.
– Label all boxes on all sides for easy identification.
– Clothing that ordinarily hangs in a closet should be packed in a wardrobe box.
– Do not store anything flammable (such as paint or other chemicals) or perishable.
– When packing boxes, try to limit the weight to 30lbs. or less per box. Seal boxes with masking, packing tape.
– If we do not have any locks available in stock. Make sure you get a strong/durable lock (Disc locks are recommended).
Think about insurance. If you already have renters or car insurance, most insurance companies will allow you to add your storage unit belongings to your current insurance plan for an additional small monthly fee (if not already covered). Either way, make sure you take pictures of your valuable items + storage unit, in case the unfortunate should happen (break ins, fire damage..ect). We will always do our best to protect your items, however it’s better to be safe than sorry.